Saturday, January 2, 2010

Chennai Concert 2009

Remember, I had sung in the Nandalala program in Tampa? From then on, I wanted to sing before Akka. Finally the opportunity came this summer!
She asked me to give a concert during the Aadi Velli (Friday) (July 17, 2009) celebrations. This venue was the Yogananda hall in Adyar. This was a wonderful opportunity of singing in front of Shri Akka (Srimathi Madioli Saraswati).
I was accompanied by a very senior local artist on the violin and the very talented Akshay Ram on the mridangam. The first song I sang was a GNB varnam in the raga Andolika. Next was Gananathane in Saranga. The third song was Sri Saraswati in Arabi. Coincidently, when I started singing this song, Akka entered the room! This was as if it was meant to be and planned. Then I sang Mayadeetha Swarupini in Mayamalavagowla. The main piece was Himadri suthe in Kalyani. I gave a good crisp alapana, short neravals and brisk swaras and was followed by a thani. I finished off with some thukadas and finally Bagyathalakshmi baaramma.
This was the first time I got a plaque after the concert. Later, I was blessed by Shri Akka. The chief guest was Mr. Ganesh, one of Maharajapuram Santhanam’s disciple and he gave me a good set of advises that will be useful for me for long time to come!

The worst thing came after the concert. My mother had recorded the concert on a new JVC camcorder and this was lost the next day. Unfortunately, I don’t have any recording or pictures of this concert or Akka ;(!

No comments: