Tuesday, August 12, 2014

2014 Summer Concert Tour


During the summer of 2012, I performed three consecutive concerts at senior citizen villages. Since then, I have made it my personal tradition to perform in senior citizen villages every summer I come to India. This summer, I found out that I was to have three back-to-back concerts. This was similar to my schedule two summers ago, so I proceeded undauntedly. I started selecting the songs that I would be singing. About a week before the concerts, I was given yet another concert, suddenly changing my concert tour from three to four consecutive concerts. I was immediately scared at first. I had never performed four concerts on consecutive days. I was not even sure that my throat would be able to bear the pressure. Despite these qualms, I decided to take on the challenge. I eventually decided to reuse songs from the other three concerts to create the list for the fourth concert. With subsequent practice, I released my tension and was ready for the four big days.
            On the train ride to Coimbatore I was listening to recordings of the songs I was going to sing, as performed by musicians of yesteryear.
            The first concert was on Thursday, July 11th. As I arrived at the venue, Serene Soundaryam, it started to rain heavily. I also discovered that I was to perform on an open-air, makeshift stage, with only a roof to protect me from the rain. Through the concert, I was incessantly battered by cold winds. In addition, by virtue of being in an open-air auditorium, the audio quality was bad. Nevertheless, I held through for 2 hours. I started with the Bhairavi Varnam, followed by an invocation of Lord Ganesha, with Vallabha Nayakasya in Begada. The sub-main piece was Merusamana in Mayamalavagowla, and the main piece was Rajuvedale in Thodi. These pieces were followed by thukadas such as Jagadhodharana and Bhavayami Gopalabalam.      

           The next day, my concert was at the Nana Nani. Luckily, unlike the last concert, this was in an air-conditioned auditorium, well protected from the elements. I commenced with the Vasantha Varnam and Karimuka Varada in Natai. The sub-main piece was Mamavathu Sri Saraswathi in Hindolam and the main piece was Samanamevaru in Kharaharapriya. The thukadas that followed included Jagajanani and Sri Chakra Raja Simhasaneshwari.       


Shri Anoop Baskaran on Violin and Shri Riju Unnikrishnan on the Mridangam 
 
The third concert was at Brindavan Hill View. As a result of my crusades on Thursday, I had caught a slight cold. My nose was slightly blocked but I managed to sing. I commenced with the Sri Ragam Varnam and Gajavadhana in Sri Ranjani. The sub-main piece was Shambo Mahadeva in Panthuvarali and the main piece was Samanamevaru in Kharaharapriya. The thukadas that followed included Sakala Graha Bala Neene in Atana and Bhavayami Gopalabalam.

Shri Anoop Baskaran on Violin and Shri Radhakrishnan on Mridangam

            The last and final concert was at Serene Shembagam. By then, most of my cold symptoms had subsided, but my throat had become adversely affected. The most important organ for a singer is his throat. How was I going to sing for two hours with my throat in such a bad condition? In difficult situations like this I usually try to forget the circumstances and just do my duty. Undaunted, I sang my last concert of the tour. I commenced with the Vasantha Varnam and Karimukha Varada in Natai. The sub-main piece was Mamavathu Sri Saraswathi in Hindolam and the main piece was Swara Raga Sudha in Shanakarabarnam. The thukadas that followed included Sakala Kalavaniye in Kedaram and Krishna Ni Begane Baro.


 Shri Anoop Baskaran on Violin and Shri Radhakrishnan on Mridangam

            The concerts were well received. The audiences especially liked the selection of songs, which included both janaranjagam and moderately rare krithis. Most of all, after the four days of continuous concerts, I was relieved, both mentally and physically. I had successfully accomplished something that I thought was impossible just two weeks before. 

No comments: